College life... what?

10:00 AM den 0 Comments

I am an 18-year-old girl who does not know how to live her life independently. Mostly because I've spent the past 18 years sheltered in my own home with my parents hovering over me--as LA natives put it, "helicopter parents."
I admit it: I really don't know much about being a grown up. I also prefer being in a smaller group of close-knit friends rather than having hundreds of other ones that I barely even know. 
July 14 - 15: college orientation.
Objective? Complete event without complaining/crying/dying.
I am 18 and I don't have my license. I know, you're probably completely judging me right now. I'm a late bloomer! Plus my parents are always scared to take me out driving. Anyways, I took public transportation to my college, SJSU. I met my friend Miguel and Jackie before actually heading down to orientation. When we arrived, we noticed people bringing luggages. Seriously? For a one night thing? But I was too quick to judge. Some people had actually flown from different parts of the U.S. and just had their luggage with them. 
The school I'm attending was not exactly my first choice, but I have a feeling I'm definitely going to enjoy it here. 5 minutes into orientation and I had already made new friends named Kara and Sham! I was surprised, mostly because I am the most anti-social person in the world, yet I managed to make friends so quickly. 
Right then I knew I was going to be okay
I dormed with Kara and Sham. Each have different personalities, but they were just the greatest roommates. 
Later on that morning, we were all put into random groups. I was in group 4. I knew absolutely no one. I said hi to this one girl, but she was really shy. She didn't smile, and I thought she didn't like me for some reason. Kinda made me sad, honestly. But then I thought again--maybe she's just really, really shy. I made a few more friends in my group. Turns out, the most anti-social person in the world was the most not anti-social person in the group. My leader relied on me to answer when no one ever did. If you knew me 10 years ago, I was the kid who never talked. Sometimes, I am still that kid. But not during orientation. Not during college. I'm coming out of my shell for good. 



During icebreakers, we played this game called "Aye aye, captain." That's when I saw this very cute boy. Well, the back of a very cute boy. Then he turned around. I'm pretty sure my face had heart eyes. I learned that he was from Huntington Beach. No wonder he was so damn cute. 
Then I met a few more locals. I told them which school I went to, and they all said the same thing. "Wow! That place is more expensive than this college. How do you feel coming from a private to a public school?"
My answer? My high school isn't that special. I prefer not bragging about that kind of stuff. Except for the fact that we've had 3 olympians, and one recently went to the olympics. Polina Edmunds. As of coming to a public school? Extremely overwhelming. I came from a class of 22, 475, now to thousands. So yeah, I'm a little bit intimidated.
I am lucky enough to have Miguel and Jackie - my best friends - by my side. What would I do without them?!
As we were divided into our own majors (mine was Undeclared - Pre-nursing), Miguel and I met this girl named Mia. She was the sweetest and greatest person I've met during orientation! She was so much like us. I knew we'd be friends for quite a while. We also met Mia's boyfriend, who came to pick her up. They were absolutely #relationshipgoals.
Miguel, Jackie, and I walked together towards the end of orientation and grabbed a few hot dogs, hamburgers, and fries. Literally, how American can we get.
We walked across the main plaza, and I thought to myself,
"We're going to be okay. Smile. Be confident. Don't let anything stop you from chasing your dreams, because that starts now."


Kisses and Kitkats, 
Denise


0 comments: